Saturday, March 27, 2010

studio day today

I spent my day slow cooking pork ribs and collards over a wood fire and longing to do a wood firing. I spent time creating in between stoking the smoker. I listened to the Greatful Dead outside, and the podcast "Stuff You Should Know" while in the studio. I spent time thinking tremendously about the shapes and forms I might include in my plates, the next form I will explore and I managed to get a few prototypes together for flatware handles. The whole endeavor, a service for 12, will hopefully be fired next fall in the anagama. Plates stacked 6 high (waded on scallop shells). I think about the beginning of this journey with this series, every idea began with coincidental and torturous tugs of spiritual guilt. Scallop shells, the sign of a pilgrim, seem so fitting a mark to leave on a form that will offer sustenance. The flatware handles will eventually hold silver that was forged with the hammer my uncle gave me the week before he died. The goblets intricately mimick the architecture of the cathedrals and churches of London and the dragon that was eventually slain by George. St George incidentally is the moniker that my godmother carries. The fact that I included the dragon, was also purely coincidental.

Interesting note, as I write this Angels and Demons is on STARZ and my family is watching.

My work today has me dreaming of the possibilities of Spain, my next trip to Europe.

No comments: